Small World, Big Data!
150 billion emails a day.
500 million tweets a day.
2 million Google searches in only one minute!
Are you wondering how all this data is stored? Want to know how these BIG amounts of DATA can be analysed?? Then read on!
With the current technologies we produce more data than we ever have. In fact, the world has created more than 90% of the data in the past two years! If you burned all of the data created in just one day onto DVDs, you could stack them on top of each other and reach the moon - twice!
Are you curious about all the applications big data has in store? Do you want to learn how we manipulate and use this data to our advantage? Then this is the right course for you, because it aims to give you an understanding in the world of "Big Data".
And all this while visiting the beautiful city of Ghent, tasting the best Belgian beers, our well-know French fries and our culture first hand!
So what are you waiting for?! Write your motivation letter and join us in the fun this Summer! Until then :D
- Content and topics:
- This course is about the different aspects of "Big Data". Working with vast and complex data-sets (Big data) has its challenges. Because these data-sets are so complex, traditional tools for handling this data are inefficient. There are two main-aspects and challenges concerning big data that will be given attention during this course: 1) Data-storage and data-access 2) Data-analysis and data-processing
- Learning goals and objectives:
- There are claims that in the last year, we have created 90% of all the data present in the world. This course will focus on the different problems (and possible solutions) that arise when using these big data-sets, that were not at all present with smaller data-sets. The course aims to give insight in the main aspects of Big Data: storage, processing, anaysing and access of data.
- Examination type:
- ECTS credits issued:
- Not known yet
Information for applicants
- Selection criteria:
- Motivation letter + questions. Aiming for 50%-50% male-female distribution and trying to have a variety of nationalities.
All of the following are covered by the event fee:
- Shared sleeping rooms with camping beds.
- Three meals per day, at least one (or two) hot meals. Coffee brakes between lecture/class.
- Transportation by bike or public transport.