Biotechnology: The future is now!
Have you ever wondered what life would be like without biotechnology?
Have you ever wondered what a Belgian looks like in real life?
Have you ever wondered how Belgians can manage to open bottle caps with pretty much any object they can find?
Have you ever wondered how good French, I'm sorry I meant BELGIAN fries actually taste like?
Have you answered any of these questions with no?
If your answer to any of these questions is yes, then you have come to the right place! We, BEST Leuven, invite you to come check out the longest bar in the world, the best chocolate and yummiest wafels! You will fall in love with our charming and lovely city and its historic center while also getting a taste of the true student nightlife for which Leuven is famous.
Besides that, you will learn a lot about the future prospects in the field of biotechnology from our professors, some of whom are internationally renowned in their field of research. Company visits will be scheduled to complement this academic part and show you how they implement some of these developments in practice. The complexity of the course will be kept to a fairly basic level such that students from different backgrounds can apply for the course.
So if you are ready for all of this awesomeness AND you can ride a bike.. then press the "Apply now" button in the top and prepare for the BEST time of your life!
PS: Keep an eye out on our website for our promo video which will be coming soon ;)
- Fields of activity:
- Biological/Biotechnical/Gene Engineering , Biomedical Engineering
- Content and topics:
- The application and usage of biotechnology in several fields. The focus lies on what's possible today and what can be achieved in the future. Some company visits are organized for a more practical experience. Some of the subjects that will be treated, amongst others, are 3D-imaging techniques for visualization of certain objects important in different biotechnological applications, the hazards of using GMOs and their alternatives and generating superior industrial yeast strains for the brewing of beer.
- Learning goals and objectives:
- Acquiring insight in the usage of biotechnology nowadays and its potential for the future. Learn about the theoretical basis of certain biotechnological applications and by the means of company visits learn about how this knowledge is used in practice.
- Examination type:
- Written examination, multiple choice or presentation.
- ECTS credits issued:
- Not known yet
Information for applicants
- Selection criteria:
- Motivation letter and answer to questions.
All of the following are covered by the event fee:
- Student dormitory.
- 3 meals per day, of which one hot. All meals will be prepared by the organizers.