Photonics? Enlighten me!
Do you want to learn about the 21st century key enabling technology 'Photonics' and its applications? Light from the focused and coherent lasers has now become an important part of our daily lives: from scanning packages at supermarkets, to eye surgery, and to IT communications across oceans. The science and technology of light are essential for the future development of humankind, and in the search of solutions to solve global problems in sustainability and healthcare.
- Fields of activity:
- Applied Sciences , Electronic/Electrotechnical Engineering , Optics/Optometry , Physics/Physics Engineering , Telecommunications/Electronics
- Content and topics:
- In this course you will learn about the 21st century key enabling technology 'Photonics' and its applications. Topics such as optics (ray optics, scalar optics and wave optics), optical fibers (classification, dispersion phenomena's, losses analyzes), lasers (classification, basic round-trip equations, tunable lasers, pulsed mode lasers), sensors, biophotonics, displays (birefringence and liquid crystals), solar cells will be included. These are used in medical applications, information technology, measurement, visualisation and energy applications. The lectures will be given by the B-PHOT team (Faculty of Engineering), currently among the world-leaders in optical modelling, optical characterization, micro-photonic systems and more. http://www.b-phot.org/
- Learning goals and objectives:
- After the course, participants should have developed knowledge in the different topics regarding photonics. In addition to that, they should have an idea of the possible applications and how they are used. Knowledge is gathered by theoretical classes, lab sessions and company visits.
- Examination type:
- ECTS credits issued:
Information for applicants
- Selection criteria:
- Interested in the topic of photonics and opto-electronics; Creative answers to the questions; Motivation letter
All of the following are covered by the event fee:
- Student dormitories close to the campus (2 per room)
- Three meals per day (one hot meal is included)
- Public transportation