How to get away with an earthquake
- Are you aware of the reason that earthquakes occur?
- Have you ever wondered how skyscrapers pull it together during extreme seismic activity?
- Do earthquakes happen on the moon?
- Do you know why flying pokemons are not affected by ground moves?
You may not know the answer to all of these questions yet, but if you are curious and eager enough to learn what's hidden behind these question marks, then you already know what to do in March. A 10-day course is waiting for you in Thessaloniki, where you are going to be introduced to the science of seismic prevention and the performance of structure and infrastructure. A triggering academic schedule will teach you first-hand the seismic analysis of structures, and get you familiar with the European design codes and their implementation. There’s no better place to gain this knowledge than Greece, a country with relatively high tectonic activity, where this field has been widely developed by scientists and engineers.
If you are not convinced yet, we will let our city, Thessaloniki, speak for itself. A group of amazing people in one of the most beautiful cities in Greece are waiting for you to make your experience unique. You are going to live the greek lifestyle, or as we call it here, HALARA style, taste the local cuisine and explore the beauties of the nymph of the Thermaikos Gulf, as it’s called.
The procedure is simple. Fill in your application, check your flight tickets and start dreaming about your time in Thessaloniki!
- Fields of activity:
- Agronomics/Forestry , Architectural Engineering , Architecture , Civil Engineering , Conservation-Restoration , Environmental Engineering , Rural and Surveying Engineering , Territory Engineering
- Content and topics:
- The Course provides an overview of the: - Seismic activity and prevention in Greece - Basic concepts of the structural dynamics - Eurocodes and European Standards in structures - Failure modes of structures
- Learning goals and objectives:
- The aim of this course is for the participants to acquire general knowledge on different aspects of structural safety. Earthquakes, materials’ resistance and structural protection are the key topics participants will tackle during the learning activities of this course.
- Examination type:
- Presentation based on a case study or project or written exam or continuous evaluation.
- ECTS credits issued:
- Not known yet
Information for applicants
- Selection criteria:
- Based on motivation letter, interest on the topic and answer to questions.
All of the following are covered by the event fee:
- Hostel, university dormitory or organizers’ houses
- Three meals per day, at least one hot (provided by organizers).
- Public transportation, walking